A Step-by-Step Guide to Filling Out Your Commonwealth Seniors Health Card Application

Rate this post

Making a successful Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC) Application can help seniors access important healthcare benefits cheaper medicine under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme or a refund for medical costs when you reach the Medicare Safety Net. In this user-friendly guide, we’ll break down the process step by step, so you can successfully complete your CSHC application without missing any important details.

Step1: When to apply for the card?

If you are age pension or older and meet the income requirements, you may start the application for CSHC.

If you receive: A Centrelink pension or benefit, or assistance from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs such as: –

  • Service Pension
  • Age Pension
  • Income Support Supplement
  • Veteran Payment

Do not lodge your Commonwealth Seniors Health Card claim until after the cancellation date.

If you are already on the Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) that comes with the Age Pension then you can ignore the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card. The PCC has all of the benefits of the CSHC plus more, so no need to worry or try to apply.

Step 2: Income Test

The CSHC comes with an income test. To qualify, your annual income must be below the following thresholds:

  • $95,400 for singles
  • $152,640 for couples
  • $190,800 for couples separated by illness, respite care, or prison

Add $639.60 for each child in your care

There is no assets test for the CSHC.

Step 3: Gather Required Documents

Before you start the application, gather the necessary documents:

  • Proof of age (birth certificate or passport)
  • Proof of residency (utility bills or driver’s license)
  • Proof of income and assets (bank statements, tax returns, pension statements)
  • Health insurance details (if applicable)
  • Proof of your partner’s date of birth.
  • Provide proof of birth (for example, birth certificate) for your child if you are receiving Family Tax Benefit
  • Your tax file number (TFN) is necessary for claim payment. If you have a partner, we will need their TFN too. If you or your partner do not have a TFN, or do not know what yours is, you can apply for one through the Australian Taxation Office or Go to www.ato.gov.au
  • Passport number if you have ever travelled outside Australia, including short trips and holidays
  • You will need to complete and return a Claim for a Health Care Card (SS050) form.

Step 4: Income Details

For the income test, you’ll need to provide income details for either of the two financial years before the current one. Ensure the details are the most recent verifiable ones. Both you and your partner (if applicable) must provide income details for the same financial year.

Provide an original Notice of Assessment from the Australian Taxation Office or supporting documents to verify your income.

If you or your partner are not required to lodge an income tax return, only include taxable income and exclude income from other sources.

Step 5: Account-Based Income Streams

If you or your partner have account-based income streams, you’ll need to provide additional documentation:

  • A Centrelink/DVA schedule or similar schedule
  • Details of income stream product (SA330) form
  • Completed by your product provider, SMSF trustee, or SMSF administrator

If you lack these forms, you can find them at www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/forms.

Step 6: Sign in to myGov and make a claim

Once your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, follow these steps:

  1. Sign in to myGov
  2. Select Make a claim or view claim status, then Make a claim.
  3. Under Concession Cards, select Get started.
  4. Select Apply for a Concession card then follow the prompts to complete your claim.
  5. You may be asked to submit supporting documents to submit your claim.
  6. Download and complete the Claim for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card form.

Ensure that all information is accurate and up-to-date, and remember to submit your application only after the cancellation date of your previous card. By doing so, you’ll be on your way to enjoying the benefits of the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.